One santol seed is enough to perforate your intestine and make you spend about P400,000.00 in a private hospital treatment!
Yesterday, August 25, 2012, I was told by a surgeon-colleague (GC) that he recently had a 54-year-old male patient whom he operated on for perforation of a sigmoid diverticulum secondary to a single santol seed. The patient swallowed one santol seed a day prior to the operation. He developed abdominal pain several hours thereafter. He underwent a CT scan of the abdomen prior to the operation. After the operation, he ended up with a colostomy. He is currently in the intensive care unit.
Illustration showing how the single swallowed santol seed perforated the large intestine which had diverticula.
Yummy pulp of the seed but the seed is deadly when swallowed!
One santol seed is sufficient to perforate the intestine! Note the sharp end in the seed!
The colostomy pouches are not cheap!
In a private hospital treatment setting, my rough calculation for the entire expenses, from the initial operation, intensive care, medicines, colostomy pouches for 2 months, to the second operation to repose the colostomy, is about P400,000.00!
Again, TAKE HEED!!!
DO NOT SWALLOW SANTOL SEED!!!
SWALLOWING EVEN ONE SANTOL SEED IS NOT WORTH RISKING A LIFE, THE PAIN, THE DISCOMFORT, AND THE EXPENSES!!!!!!