Networking with Red Cross Manila Chapter and Proposed Manila Hospitals’ Disaster Response Mutual Aid and Assistance Plan
August 8, 2011 – This morning, Hian, Faith, and I met 3 persons from Red Cross Manila Chapter who came over to Manila Doctors Hospital to discuss networking between Red Cross Manila Chapter and Manila Doctors Hospital in times of mass casualty incidents and disasters.
Actually, the three have been going to different hospitals in Manila to seek a memo of agreement for networking. Essentially, they are asking the agreed hospitals to put up a Welfare Desk during times of disasters which will be manned by Red Cross people.
I welcome the offer for networking by Red Cross. However, I decided to enhance it a bit to be more useful not only for MDH but also for the entire Manila community.
For MDH, I thought of integrating their suggestion of a Welfare Desk into our response plan and to make use of the Red Cross people who will come to MDH during disaster as additional manpower to take care of the concerns of relatives of the victims and to liaise with their head office or other chapters for the assistance MDH may need, such as blood and ambulance – to which the Red Cross group agreed.
Also, I suggested to initiate a team to formulate a plan which I will call – Manila Hospitals’ Disaster Response Mutual Aid and Assistance Plan – to which they welcome. This is for the benefit of the entire Manila community.
After the meeting, I made a brief concept paper – see below.
I am sharing this concept paper to the group. I welcome feedback.
Manila Hospitals’ Disaster Response Mutual Aid and Assistance Plan
Reynaldo O. Joson, MD, MHA, MHPEd, MSc Surg
August 9, 2011
- To formulate a plan for a structured system of networking among hospitals in Manila to facilitate mutual aid and assistance during response to disasters in Manila .
- To formulate a plan for a structured system of mutual aid and assistance among hospitals in Manila during response to disasters in Manila .
End-points of Project:
- A written plan showing structured system of networking
- A written plan showing structured system of mutual aid and assistance
- Plans are implementable and tested through exercises.
- Representatives from Manila Doctors Hospital
- Representatives from Red Cross Manila Chapter
- Representatives from City of Manila Health Department